The COVID-19 (Corona Virus) pandemic has presented several challenges to our world’s health, care systems, and economy. Healthcare professionals are responsible not only for the care of individual patients, but also to serve as leaders and educators to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our communities. In one to two pages, answer the following questions:
1. How did this pandemic begin?
2. How is Corona Virus spread (type of transmission)?
3. How does this virus differ from the seasonal flu (look up: case fatality rate and R-naught)?
4. How can individuals prevent becoming infected?
a. Identify primary prevention and secondary prevention measures that help decrease the spread of the disease
5. What does it mean to “flatten the curve”?
6. Who is most at risk for serious complications and death?
Using your answers from Part I, create an educational handout or brochure. Your audience is the general public or members of your local community. Consider education and reading levels of your audience. Get creative and make it visually appealing (handout should be no more than two pages, or one sheet front and back).
In one to two pages, compare the public health responses to the epidemics in South Korea and Italy. Why is South Korea considered the “gold standard” in its response to the virus? How did this differ from Italy?
Post in the Clinical Makeup Discussion thread: what was the most surprising or most interesting thing you’ve learned as you completed the assignment? Include one original post and one reply to another student