Review the link below and take note of the world population, the components of population growth and the top 10 most populous countries.
Demographic trends shaping the U.S. and the World (you will be using this information for question #2 on assignment #3, as well as the final exam).
1. How has population changed over time? What are the factors that lead to the growth in the last 300 years? When did population growth maximize? What will the population look like in 2050.
2. What is the difference between growth rates and fertility rates (make sure you define both)?
3. What are the factors that have lead to the recent decrease in growth and fertility rates?
4. Looking at the different areas in the world, compare and contrast the growth and fertility rates in Asia (including both India and China specifically), Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, and the United States.
5. Compare and contrast the growth and fertility rates in the developed vs. the underdeveloped world.
6. What are the 5 stages of demographic transition with regards to population? Who does education factor into this?
7. What is carrying capacity? (you will see this on the final so be prepared to speak to it in terms of food, environment, toxins etc).
World In Balance (you will be using the information from this video to answer questions 1, 2, and 3 for assignment #3 as well as questions on the final exam). You can start the video at 4 minutes to avoid adds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1eHfNYgOP4 Links to an external site.
1. What is the difference between north and south India? How has this affected population growth?
2. What are the social issues in both India and Africa that have lead to high birth rates?
3. What are the environmental issues of both India and Africa related to population?
4. What is the “magic number” for population growth? What does this mean and what have the trends been?
5. What is are the population issues with Japan? What is the cause and ramifications of Japan’s population issues? (please give at least 3 examples from the video)
6. What are the ramifications of having an older population in terms of economic stability?
7. What are the issues for the US in terms of resources and economic stability?
8. What are the ramifications of rapid population growth?
Topic #3 World In Balance 2 (China)
You will be using this video for the final exam for questions on population and the environment, as well as assignment #3 for the first and third questions. Please watch the first 25 minutes to answer the questions.
1. How has China’s pollution affected the U.S.?
2. What is the impact of affluence on both the health of individuals and the environment? (please give 2 examples from the video to support individual health and environmental health (4 examples total).
3. What was China’s economic revolution? What were the ramifications for the environment and individuals? (please give 2 examples from the video to support individual health and environmental health (4 examples total).
4. What have been the environmental ramifications of unchecked coal use in China?