Write one paragraph of description and narration (SHOW!) in which you will expend on the following three prompts (TELL!):
(1) The man carrying a dog climbed into a truck filled with cages.
(2) The child and his bird walked into a room where he met an alien.
(3) The woman walked into a bar where she saw three dead bodies.
Simply describe that particular character entering the setting. You should be able to do plenty of characterization combined with a very vivid rendition of the setting itself. Start right at the beginning of the action. Skip any introduction. Do not utilize DIALOGUE and/or INTERIORITY.
Make sure to employ as many literary techniques as possible from among the ones below:
(1) significant details (only describe that which is absolutely necessary);
(2) specific vocabulary (stay away from generic verbs and nouns, and only use very concrete, specific ones;
(3) utilize all five senses (on top of visual cues, employ auditory, olfactive, tactile, and gustatory);
(4) figurative language (use comparisons and metaphors as punch lines).
REQUIRED LENGTH: Each paragraph needs to be between 150 words.
DON’T USE ANY OUTSIDE SOURCES PLEASE. IT’S CREATIVE WRITING.
The post Description & Narration first appeared on nursing writers.