Remember to submit your work following the file naming convention FirstInitial.LastName_M01.docx. For example, J.Smith_M01.docx. Remember that it is not necessary to manually type in the file extension; it will automatically append.
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
1. Locate an article that discusses a bioethics issue. First, provide a summary of the article and the bioethics issue being presented. Next, discuss what ethical actions the nurse should take in relation to the issue being presented. Also, discuss possible legal issues that the nurse should be aware of. This section should include at least 1 outside reference and your textbook and should be at least 1 ½ pages long.
2. Analyze the following case study and then answer the following questions:
You are working on the Operating Room and the trauma alert goes off. You respond to the ER to provide support. Once in the ER, you receive report that an 89 year old male is coming in with a self-inflicted GSW (Gun Shot Wound) to the head. You listen to the radio traffic between the ER and ambulance to get an idea what kind of surgery you need to set up for and what will be needed as far as lines and fluid. Here is the report:
Patient is intubated and non-responsive. Right pupil is fixed and dilated. Paramedic also states there is a large extended family headed to the ER. The patient lost his wife of 60 years 1 week ago and left a note stating that he is too heartbroken to go on. The patient and family arrive. The neurosurgeon discusses that their father’s potential outcome, even with surgery, is not good. The family still insists that the neurosurgeon complete the surgery.
1. What are the ethical and legal issues in this case study. Be specific and support your response with references
Once you have the patient in the room and you are prepped and ready for surgery, the phone rings. You receive word that the patient signed DNR orders two days ago.
1. As the OR nurse what are your legal and ethical issues now? Was the patient of sound mind when he signed this order? Do you honor the DNR or the family’s wishes? Explain and support your response.
Your response to this case study should be at least 2 pages and include 2 outside references and your textbook.
Please submit one paper which includes both assignments