Please make sure you have done the reading and gone through the lectures before you attempt to write this essay.
“Explain the difference between bottom-up and top-down processing (in your own words; do not use the words in the text).
How might bottom-up and top-down processing be involved in our perception of a) illusory contours and b) ambiguous figures? (Hint: What is actually on the retina (bottom up processing)? What do we actually perceive? What role does top-down processing play here?)
Finally, describe a situation in which you initially thought you saw or heard something but then you realized your initial perception was an error. What was the role of bottom-up and top-down processing in this example of first having an incorrect perception and then realizing what was actually there?”
Essays should be around 2 pages long and written using correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and appropriate style for a scientific essay.
Some tips to help you increase your grade:
1) Introduction, paragraphs, and conclusions should be part of any essay.
2) Check your essays for grammar, spelling, and correct sentence structure.
3) Read your essay aloud to check that it makes sense. Remember, if you cannot understand it, no one else will.
4) Make sure you answer the question(s). Do not create your own question and answer that.
5) Make sure you give examples in your essays to support what you write. For example, if you say that top-down information dominates perception, illustrate this with an example.