Inistalling and Configuring Windows Server
1. What upgrade options exist for moving from Server 2008 (R2) to Server 2012? What limitations or caveats should be considered when upgrading? Would you typically recommend a clean install or an in-place upgrade when attempting to move a service from Server 2008 to 2012, and why?
2. Describe a scenario in which you’d use Server Core, including a description of the services that you might install on the server, and the advantages and disadvantages of using Server Core.
3. Consider a data center heavily built on Hyper-V (or VMware) and the ability to clone virtual machines from template VMs or from other existing VMs. For a highly virtualized data center, how does this change the deployment options available from traditional data centers? Is there any benefit or need in using some of the traditional deployment options (e.g., disk imaging using software like Ghost, deploying operating systems using Windows Deployment Services and the Windows Automated Installation Kit or Microsoft Deployment Toolkit)?
4. Using tools mentioned in the chapter (or other tools), research one of these domains: microsoft.com, cnn.com, icann.org, wikipedia.org, google.com. Your goal is to find out publicly available information about each domain including domain registration information and DNS records. Provide the following for the domain chosen, providing details on how you found the information:
lDomain admin e-mail address
lDomain expiration date
lName servers for the domain
lAt least 2 A records in the domain
lAt least 1 MX record in the domain
5. What are some good practices when deploying directory services?
6. What factors might an organization consider when choosing to implement an AD-integrated DNS zone versus a traditional zone? Describe a scenario in which it would be preferable not to integrate a DNS zone into AD. Since the DNS zones can be hosted on specific AD domain controllers, what factor(s) might go into deciding which DCs will host DNS?