N3325 Holistic Care of Older Adults
Submit by 2359 Saturday of Week 3.
Overview: Life Review Interview
This assignment provides the opportunity to develop one-to-one interactions with an elder who resides in the community. The focus is to develop and refine skills in communication and to examine successful aging through the lived experiences of an elder.
Completing this assignment will enable you to conduct a Life Review with an older adult, understand the significance of the individual’s life story, identify possible legacies and their importance to the older adult, and describe the degree of ego integrity reached by the older adult. You will also reflect upon the process of conducting a Life Review. Only your initial reflection statements about the interview process must be submitted during Week 3.
Contact the older adult the day before the interview to remind him/her about it and to answer any questions about the process that may have arisen. Be sure to review the guidelines and guiding questions before the interview session. Be prompt and professional.
All information of a sensitive nature that is shared with you must be kept confidential unless your have the older adult’s permission to share it with others. The Interview Consent Form offers assurance and informs the older adult that the information is kept within the bounds of the course faculty and, where appropriate, with peers in the class. In all written work and discussions, the older adult must be identified by initials only to protect privacy.
This document includes guidelines to help you prepare for and conduct the interview, but you are not required to submit answers to the interview questions. Only your initial reflection statements in Part C must be submitted during Week 3.
· Apply gerontologic nursing principles and standards in nursing practice across the continuum of elder care.
· Use current evidence and theories in care of older adults.
· Conduct a personal interview with an older adult for the purpose of documenting Life Review.
Use this rubric to guide your work on the assignment, “Life Review Interview.”
|Levels of Achievement|
|Week 3 Assignment 2 Reflection upon interview. Write 3 reflective statementsWeight 75.00%||0 %0 to 1 reflective statement or statements are not reflective of student’s thoughts/feelings||50 %2 reflective statements are submitted||100 %3 statements are submitted that reflect the student’s thoughts and feelings (not the interview subject’s)|
|APA Format is used. Correct spelling, puntuation and grammar are usedWeight 25.00%||0 %more than 2 errors||50 %1-2 errors||100 %No errors|
A. Preparing for the interview:
1. Be able to explain the purpose and length of the visits (The interview should not exceed two hours. If you are unable to complete the interview in two hours, then schedule another meeting).
2. If you have not done so, ask the elder to sign the Interview Consent Form. (It is helpful to take two copies so that you can leave a copy with the elder.)
3. Reflect upon how you can incorporate therapeutic communication skills in your interview.
4. Review the Interview Guide. The elder does have the right to refuse to answer any question – please honor that right.
B. Conducting the interview: These questions can serve as a guide during the interview. You are not required to submit the answers to the questions, so you will not be graded upon completion of this section.
Distinguishing characteristics of the individual:
1. What was life like for you as a child?
2. What were your parents like? What were their strengths and weaknesses?
3. Did you have any brothers or sisters? If so, tell me what each was like.
4. Did someone close to you die when you were growing up?
5. Do you ever remember being very sick?
6. Was religion a large part of your life?
1. What things stand out in your memory about being a teenager?
2. Who were the important people for you (parents, brothers, sisters, friends, teachers, those you were especially close to, those you admired, those you wanted to be like)? Tell me about them.
The post Review the Interview Guide. The elder does have the right to refuse to answer any question – please honor that right. appeared first on nursing assignment tutor.