P17-7 (Available-for-Sale and Held-to-Maturity Debt Securities Entries)
The following information relates to the debt securities investments of Wildcat Company.
1. On February 1, the company purchased 10% bonds of Gibbons Co. having a par value of $300,000 at 100 plus accrued interest. Interest is payable April 1 and October 1.
2. On April 1, semiannual interest is received.
3. On July 1, 9% bonds of Sampson, Inc. were purchased. These bonds with a par value of $200,000 were purchased at 100 plus accrued interest. Interest dates are June 1 and December 1.
4. On September 1, bonds with a par value of $60,000, purchased on February 1, are sold at 99 plus accrued interest.
5. On October 1, semiannual interest is received.
6. On December 1, semiannual interest is received. 7. On December 31, the fair value of the bonds purchased February 1 and July 1 are 95 and 93, respectively.
(a) Prepare any journal entries you consider necessary, including year-end entries (December 31), assuming these are available-for-sale securities.
(b) If Wildcat classified these as held-to-maturity investments, explain how the journal entries would differ from those in part (a).