In 1994, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) defined dietary supplements as a category of food, which put them under different regulations than drugs. They are considered safe until proven otherwise. This means they are found unsafe only after they cause harm. This is the reverse of the way prescription and non-prescription drugs are handled.
The use of nonprescription weight loss supplements seems to be common among Americans today. We are subjected to advertisements for weight loss supplements on television shows, printed advertisements, and on internet sites.
Discussion (8 questions): Choose one of the current nonprescription weight loss supplements from the list below and complete some research (reliable resources). In your post address the follow questions (in order, numbered and with a brief paragraph response):
(1) Name of supplement and what your supplement is supposed to do/how it works. Explain.
(2) Ingredients contained in your supplement. List and explain.
(3) Documented research studies on the efficacy of the product (look for journal articles and studies). Explain.
(4) How familiar were you with this product before this assignment, where can it be purchased and how much does it cost? Explain.
(5) Is it sponsored by a company, individual, or celebrity? Explain.
(6) Are there any serious side effects or has it ever been recalled? Explain.
(7) How valid do you believe the claims are for this product? Explain.
(8) Do you agree with the how we regulate dietary supplements within the US? Why or why not?
Use your text book and reliable sources. Use your own words. I expect a meaningful short paragraph response to each question asked. Post/identify your answers in order/numbered as listed above. Do not cut and paste anything.
Choose one to discuss:
Green coffee bean extract
Garcinia cambogia extract
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)
Green Tea Extract
Initial posts must be a minimum of 300 words in length and include two (2) valid references [textbook, nutrition journal article, or nutrition professional website] in APA format.
The post Weight Loss Supplements first appeared on Nursing Term Paper Help.